Re: filmscanners: Glass slide mounts

On Thursday, October 18, 2001 at 23:55, Neil Cotty
<filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
wrote re "filmscanners: Glass slide mounts" saying:

> Hi all,
>
> I know this has been said before here, but I thought I'd just reiterate it
> in case others missed out. I have an LS4000 scanner and shoot with mainly
> Provia or Velvia. I've been 'sort of' happy with the sharpness of the scans,
> resigned to using various sharpening methods post scan - no getting around
> that. But - today I received a set of glass slides - Quickpoint- on the
> advice of others around the Internet. Fantastic. Unbelievable difference.
> I'm getting much better results, much sharper. So for the cost of a few
> cents - I picked up 300 on Ebay for a few pounds - it's well worth the
> money.
>
> One side effect though, maybe someone can tell me why this is happening.
> With a few slides, say 10%, I am getting this erm, multi-coloured circles
> and unusual shapes appearing on the slide. I guess it is the film itself
> perhaps slightly curved,

Exactly the opposite - the film is as flat as the glass!

> and light playing tricks - or could it be some left
> over residue from development? It does look like a liquid!

Newton's rings. See
        http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/faq/rings.shtml
        http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000BrA
        http://www.eriesci.com/tech_info/Data/NewtonRings.html
        http://www.gepe.com/english/115-txt.htm

Tom------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -------------------
   ,__@         Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-
6115
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa Ontario Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974  Tom@Abacurial.com N45.412 W75.714
Laws are the spider's webs which, if anything small falls into them
they ensnare it, but large things break through and escape.
        --Solon, statesman (c.638-c558 BCE)
        -- Benjamin Franklin

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.