From: owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Tom Scales
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2001 20:22
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: Re: filmscanners: Laptop configuration

I scan and edit on different machines, primarily for performance.  The
machines are connected via a LAN. The scanning machine saves to the hard
drive of the editing machine, over the LAN.

If you are not connected via a LAN, then you need a way to move large
(large!) amounts of files between the two machines.  CD-R or CD-RW is
easiest and cheapest.  Jaz is useful, but expensive. Zip is really too
small.  I have all three and use the Jaz the most, but at $100 for a 2Gb
disk, you can't have many.

Tom

> Thanks Bill.
> Searching for laptop's specifications I just realized that it is
physically
> restricted to
> 192 MB RAM which it already has, so I have no ability to add more.
> Thus, I thought to use it for scanning only while editing should be held
by
> other, more powerful machine (desktop at my work). The problem is how to
> download the images off the laptop (although might be done through the
> network at the work).
>
> Then archiving will not be related to the laptop - desktop will handle
that
> issue.
>
> Regards, Alex

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.