FW: filmscanners: Can't download Silverfast 5.2

Tony and fellow list members,

Not for the first time I've received a private email from a member (first
time from this individual) that seems to suggest my input is not wanted.
Previously I've ignored such messages, but this time I believe the content
to be worthy of sharing. The message may provide some insight as to such
mail lists should be run in the future. Tony will need to provide us all
with crystal balls and members should only ask questions that are of
interest to everyone.

Owen,

>I am sorry you found my post useless.

I wrote unrelated to the problem, there is a difference.

>You should have taken this off-line since it was of no interest
>to anyone else; except for maybe you.

I'm now a mind reader. I thought the purpose of the list was to share info
for the benefit of ALL. Maybe Tony can enlighten me? In the meantime this
will be my last message until advised of the correct protocols. I'm sure
that will please everyone else, except you :-)

> You have championed Silverfast all
> along and since their support is so poor, you have decided to do it for
> them..

I like SilverFast and if you had bothered to check back through the archives
you will see that I have also had good things to write about VueScan. I've
also wrote bad things about both, plus some negative comments on hardware
vendors, etc. So far as LaserSoft is concerned their support tends to be
less than ideal. However, that is the reason that I write what I write for
them and;

Adobe
Epson
Canon
Nikon
Polaroid
Praxisoft
Monacosystems
Pictographics

And at least a dozen others besides.

ALL of these companies use or abuse my material in one way or another.
Usually they ask for it after users have told them that it exists. I provide
it free via my web site and to my astonishment some has also found its way
into other languages, by permission:

French
German
Swedish
Italian (from memory a fellow list member undertook that work)
Spanish

> This makes you a 'really nice guy'  but in reality it just boosts your
> credibility so as to land you future job opportunities. Maybe your posturing
> and self promotion are all part of the act but I see right through it.

Given the rather long list it could be argued that I'm really covering my
options. Job Opportunities, Self Promotion and Posturing? You are kidding -
you really have no idea why I or any of the other 10's of thousands of folk
like me on the Net do as we do. NEVER assume that we are in it for money,
prestige or anything like it - try - because we enjoy helping others and are
paying back, in our own way, those who have helped us. Frankly it is
attitudes like yours that make me question why I or anyone else would be so
stupid as to help others. Then I remember that there are many times more
folk around the world who do appreciate our efforts.

As for you seeing right through it - I suggest you see an optician, your
vision clearly isn't what it should be!

Ian Lyons

http://www. web address deleted for fear of being accused of self promotion!