Re: filmscanners: Computer System Recommendations

Glenn--

(1) Gobs of RAM.  Photoshop needs 3 (or was it 5?) times the amount
of RAM available to it as the size of the image you are editing.
This is for the history, etc. buffers.  A full-frame, 4,000 DPI 35mm
scan will be about 120MB, so you'll need at least 360MB available to
Photoshop unless you want to spend all your time hitting the disk and
slowing your system to a crawl.  RAM is so cheap I'd get a GB.

(2) A huge hard disk (or two or three...).  I sucked up 10GB of HD
space in the first week of playing with my new LS4000ED.  I've been
using firewire hard drives to great effect to extend the storage on
my system.

(3) A 21" monitior such as the Mitusbishi Diamond Pro 2060u. I have
the 2040u and love it!  I also have a more expensive Sony GDMF500R
which is more expensive and less sharp :-(.  The bigger the monitor
the faster your workflow will be; when you zoom in to do spotting,
when you compare images side-by-side, etc.

(4) PhotoCal and the Monitor Spyder for calibrating and profiling your monitor.

(5) A DVD RAM or CD-R drive to archive your scans.

(6) Firewire.

Any modern system is likely to have a fast enough CPU, internal bus,
etc. such that the above considerations will have much greater effect.

HTH,

--Bill

--

Bill Fernandez  *  User Interface Architect  *  Bill Fernandez Design

(505) 346-3080  *  bill@billfernandez.com  *  http://billfernandez.com