Re: filmscanners: New film scanner - buying suggestions?

I've been using the Acer ScanWit 2740S for a couple of months now,
with a great deal of enjoyment.  To put things in perspective-- I'm
definitely a non-expert amateur, with zilch previous experience in
scanning or photo printing.  I was persuaded to get the Acer after the
flurry of positive reviews on this list, indicating it was preferable
to the low-end Minolta, which seemed to be having quality control
problems.  I tried them both out, side-by-side, and found the Acer
yielded, for me, consistently superior results, with less effort-- but
that may have all been learning curve.

I've found that Viewscan and Photoshop 5.0 LE is an extremely poweful
combination, letting me get usable prints out of seriously
underexposed negatives.

For sheer simplicity, the bundled Miraphoto/Photoshop combination
can't be beat on properly exposed negatives.

Grain aliasing is a topic that comes up on scanners in this price
range.  I have no words of wisdom (I'm too green), but except on the
abovementioned *seriously* underexposed negatives, on 400 ASA film, I
haven't noticed any.

The Acer comes with an OEM SCSI card.  Since this is the only SCSI
component on my rig, I can's speak to compatability issues.  It went
in and functioned properly with absolutely no fuss.

I hope this is of help.

--
http://www.geocities.com/smprastein

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.