Re: filmscanners: Nikon Scan & VS Negative dynamic range

I set my default Vuescan buffer to 20%, on the grounds that
that's the sort of thing most of us live with quite happily
in centre-weighted exposure metering systems (grins & ducks
while hoping that endless off-topic discussion on
centre-weighted meters does not ensue).

However, I've never got round to asking Ed whether the
buffer value is b% or 2b% of the linear dimensions or b% of
the frame area. I don't think it matters so long as
unrepresentative and unimportant objects near the edge are
eliminated.

The beauty of Vuescan is the ease with which you can twiddle
things and try them out if you don't like the result. This
was easier in the olden days when many of the controls were
on a single screen alongside the preview. However, I've now
got used to the big preview & the tabs, and do much more
twiddling in Vuescan before going elsewhere.

Regards,

Alan T