filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: Autoexposure problem in Vuescan

Maris wrote:
> Similar to what you've tried, check the "Advanced Workflow
> Suggestions" in the Help file to determine the fixed
> exposure setting for the film - maybe that will help.

Looks like that's effectively what I've done by including
part of the mask.

> I assume you've already tried the "None" setting for
> Color balance.

Can't.  One thing I didn't mention is that the film is Fuji Superia 100
print film.  Using the "none" setting with a neg in Vuescan produces a black
scan.  The none setting only works with slide film AFAICS.

> Have you tried changing the Gamma and Image brightness
> settings?

Yes.  It doesn't help because the actual scan exposure is wrong.

> The graininess you end up with is a mystery to me, though.

Ed's response explains it.  Vuescan is not calculating the mask properly
because almost the entire area of the scan is very dense (being bright sky).
 ISTM that Vuescan also tries to expand the data too much, and the result
is far too much contrast - the differences between dye clouds become
highlighted,
or at least grain aliasing is highlighted.

I'm wondering now whether the approach of including the mask would help
with some of the negs which have shown excessive grain in blue skies.  I
have a print on my wall at work which is an example - the sky has a brown
tone to it which may be the result of the mask not being removed correctly.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.