Re: filmscanners: Silverfast frame advance?

Congratulations on your SS4000 purchase.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  I'm not so sure about SilverFast, though, as I've had nothing but trouble with it.

Anyway, to answer your questions, to eject the film carrier from the scanner, look to the left side of the SilverFast preview screen.  There's a vertical row of square buttons.  One of the buttons has a couple of arrows in it at right angles to each other.  Click on that to eject the carrier.  There's another button with a whole bunch of little squares in it.  Click on that to bring up a screen that shows the frames of the carrier.  Click on the frame you want and then click OK.  That's how you select which frame you want the scanner to scan.  I've never worked in batch mode, so I can help you there without doing some research.  Also, I'm giving this to you from memory, so I hope I don't mangle it too bad.  If you roll the cursor over any of the SilverFast buttons, it should give you a description in a box at the bottom of the preview screen.  At least it's a clue as to what the button does.

The PDF documentation on your CD is for a very old version of SilverFast.  Some of the addendum fill in some of the details, but the overall documentation is very poor.  Lasersoft is working on a new 250 page document that's supposed to be better.  In the meantime, I suggest you go to www.silverfast.com and find the link to Ian Lyons tutorials on SilverFast.  He's about the only guy who can explain how to set up SilverFast and use it.  One of his tutorials covers batch processing.  Also, the forum at www.silverfast.com is a good place to get your questions answered.  And I'll do my best here, too.

Good luck.  Now if you'll excuse me, I need to fire off an e-mail to Lasersoft concerning a problem with the scan not matching the prescan crop box setting.  It's an erratic problem that's driving me nuts.  I'm using the latest 5.5 version of SilferFast with my SS4000.  I never had a problem with the earlier version, which is probably what you have.  If you have a similar problem, I'd like to hear about it.

In a message dated 9/19/2001 10:46:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time, andy@andydarlow.com writes:

>Hi everyone:

I just purchased a SS4000 and I'm wondering how I can advance the
film and eject it as well.  There is no documentation that I could
find.

Thanks,

Andy Darlow

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.