Re: filmscanners: Dust in Sprintscan 4000?

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 08:41:04 -0400  Barbara & Martin Greene
(martbarb@earthlink.net) wrote:

>  Perhaps, dust is a problem in every scanner.

In every prosumer CCD scanner, yes, it is.

> I'd
> appreciate if users of the Sprintscan would tell me just how much stuff
> shows up in their slide scans.

A real piece of string question, which IME depends entirely on how cleanly
the film has been processed, stored and handled. Last week I was scanning
early 1990's negs of mine which I processed, printed a few times and kept
in glassine sleeves in binders. I barely had to spot them at all. Whereas
some film fresh from the lab sometimes takes 20mins a frame on the odd
frame, and 5mins on the cleaner ones. The plastic sleeves which most labs
use just adds to the problem - merely removing the film generates enough
static to turn it into a filth magnet.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info