Re: filmscanners: Dust in Sprintscan 4000?

Rick

> From: "Steve Greenbank" <steve@gccl.fsbusiness.co.uk>
> Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 16:40:03 +0100
> To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: filmscanners: Dust in Sprintscan 4000?
>
> Rick Samco compared these two scanners here:
> http://www.samcos.com/rick/equip/scannertest/ssvsed.htm
>
> Up until I saw this I was quite keen to trade my Artixscan 4000T (SS4000
> clone) for a Nikon largely for ICE. After all de-spotting is a nightmare
> except on very clean images.
>
> I have yet to find any thing other than a clone tool that removes the dust
> spots from my A4000T scans. I have discovered however that by not looking at
> your images at all before scanning (I use slides) you can minimise the
> de-spotting to about 5 minutes max. Obviously this isn't much good for old
> slides. I have some family slides ([not] cared for by my Dad) which it would
> take many hours to clean up. I only have a 17" monitor and have to look at
> about 40 screen fulls to check one image for dust spots, but if you have a
> huge monitor this is probably much easier.

I use a nineteen inch monitor and in Photoshop I use the 'Print' and 'Actual
Pixels' views which lead to every spot showing up looking like a pebble.
While it makes it easier to find the junk, it leads to my seeing lots more
of it.

> On examining Rick's samples I decided that the Nikon seemed to have very
> slightly better sharpness and detail but turning on the ICE made it very
> slightly worse. This was reasonably acceptable, but the Nikon seems to also
> produce very grainy scans and the only cure is GEM which softens images
> quite badly. I have quite enough trouble with grain so I decided to stick
> with the A4000T.

I think it is possible to compensate for the softening by through careful
adjustment of Unsharp Mask Filter.  I'd really appreciate information on how
you arrived at the conclusion that the, "The Nikon seems to also produce
very grainy scans."  Grainy in comparison to what?

Thanks, Martin

> Steve

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.