RE: filmscanners: ReSize, ReSample or ReScan ?

For the record, I just printed Dean's test on an Epson 1270 (the old
version of the 1290, with 1440 dpi).  Used EPP, 1440 dpi, highest quality
settings.

Out of curiosity, I'll mention that the white lines in black were only
barely visible in the top 3 resolutions (239, 240 and 241) - they were
completely lost in the rest.  Needless to say I don't use Postscript, and
maybe that is also why the font used for the res numbers looks fat and
horrible (on screen as well as on the print)..?

Anyway, just using the criteria of looking for variations in line widths
(ie adjacent lines loking fatter or thinner), there seem to be 2 'sweet
spots', at 240 dpi and 360 dpi.

In practice however, I would agree with other comments that there is little
difference when printing 'real' images, once over 200 dpi.  I had pretty
well settled on 240 dpi as being a nice balance between huge file sizes and
good looking prints.  I can just pick the difference between 240 and 300+
dpi, but at normal viewing distances it is irrelevant.  Your eyesight,
fussiness and mileage may vary of course.. :)

mark t

Ps - Who is about to sign off, because of the traffic generated by the 'aa
bait'.  I'll come back when it gets back to less 'did so-did not' arguments
and more f-s topics.  Sincere thanks to the many excellent contributors,
both pro and beginner who largely remain on-topic, eg Tony, Art, Rob,
Julian, Steve, Dean, Lawrence, Cary, rafe, Mikael (and others who I
apologise for not listing but you know who you are). Bye.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.