RE: filmscanners: tiff compression

Paul writes ...

> what do people think about saving my raw scans as LZW tiff's?
> I am making 48 bit 6x7 scans on Nikon 8000, and they are over
> 500Mb each, so lossless compression would save a hell of a lot of
> space, ...

    The LZW compression will not save you much space because it depends on
"predictable" pixel values (e.g., a lot of white, or some other color,
space) ... you save 15% at the most, but admittedly 15% of 500Mb is a lot.

> Also, for catalogue/ magazine use what sort of RGB file size
> should I supply,
> something like a 12" print at 300dpi is still 75Gb uncompresses,
> which seems big for most magazines

  My calculation is more like 39Mb for a 24bit RGB, and 78Mb for 48bits.
Still, I believe you should be providing 24bit RGB with your working space
embedded ... and let the magazine convert to their press's printer (CMYk)
space.  It is interesting to note ... many stock photo houses will not
accept anything smaller than 50Mb (24bit RGB).

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.