RE: filmscanners: OT (a bit): Publishing pictures :)

> Austin writes:
>
> > That depends on the film format, and what you
> > mean by poster-sized, and what your expected
> > quality is.
>
> It's pretty easy to calculate.

Of course it's easy to calculate, but that has nothing to do with your claim
and my comment.  You claimed that 2700 spi scan is good enough for anything
but poster sized publication, and that is not necessarily true.  As I
stated, it depends on a number of things.

> that would mean a maximum image size of
> about 11x17
> inches, easily enough for a full page or beyond.

You said "poster sized" and IMO, 11x17 is not really poster sized.

> Large enlargements of 35mm film are more likely to be limited by the grain
> structure of the film than by the resolution of the scan.

That depends on the film, development and exposure.  I have no trouble
getting great scans at 5080 out of 35mm film, without being, as you say,
"grain limited".

It isn't just as simple as you may want to state/believe it is.  I believe
you would be better off stating under what conditions you are making such
claims, then there would be no ambiguity.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.