filmscanners: Nikon Scan & VS Negative dynamic range

I just scanned the Stouffer and a Max400 dupe of the Stouffer.  There was a
light leak in my homemade film holder so the results won't be 100%
accurate.  If I could only find my film duplicator.

Direct B&W scans of the Stouffer target were made in B&W negative mode.
Note that VS kept changing to Slide media and the restricted range is
evident.
A Kodak Max 400 dupe of the Stouffer was also scanned.   Both Nikon Scan
and ViewScan capture the full OD of the Max dupe. In fact, I can see all
the Stouffer levels on the screen, which is a first!  VS appears to be able
to capture even more OD range.

Comparing NS3.1 with the Kodak print of the Max400 Stouffer dupe, NS3.1 has
more dynamic range by at least two stops.  The print compresses the
brightest 2 stops and the darkest step is compressed.

Mike Duncan

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.