Re: filmscanners: Vuescan - crop files missing

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:44:04 -0700  Chris Hargens (ldmr@cruzio.com) wrote:

> Nevertheless, I still wonder if there is an advantage to working =
> directly with the raw scan file rather than the cropped file.

You can use either, but the raw scan will require a lot more work in PS,
and IME it will be fairly complex corrections to non-linear colour
response of the scanner.

The crop file should be reasonably close to a final result requiring
(typically) only tweaking of levels, perhaps some rebalancing of colour and
saturation. If it isn't, your VS settings are suspect.

You would use the raw scan if you intend applying an ICC profile for the
scanner/film, eg if you have profiling s/w capable of making one.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
& comparisons