Re: filmscanners: Anti-Newton Rings powder

on 8/30/01 1:30 AM, SKID Photography at skid@bway.net wrote:

>>> Sorry for my ignorance....What is 'Anti-Newton Rings powder'?
>>>
>> When you place two flat surfaces together, you get a form of banding known
>> as Newton Rings that represent the different transference of light between
>> the surfaces due to the pressure. Glass slides, and even enlarger glass has
>> been coated for years with a transparent substance that prevents flat/flat
>> contact, spacing the two flat surfaces just far enough apart to prevent the
>> pressure banding.
>
> So are you saying that one can make their own anti newton glass by getting
> some of this 'Anti-Newton Rings
> powder'?

Note that I never mentioned "powder". I suspect (without any factual basis)
that the anti Newton ring coating is Latex. I used to work in a photo lab
and cleaned that stuff off a lot of glass slides that I duped. It had a
faint odor that reminded me of Latex gloves. We had a spray that we applied
to glass negative holders in enlargers that also smelled like Latex. Being
an old geezer, I have forgotten anything that the spray might have said on
the label (or was too busy to read). I don't even remember if the product
was "official", or just a "local fix" applied by the lab owner.

Jim Snyder

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.