filmscanners: Comparing scanners

Just a thought - I don't know the guts of how Photoshop produces histograms,
so this may not work as well as I think it could... Would it be a useful
comparison of scanners to scan the same slide with Vuescan to raw files
and compare the histograms?  It seemed to me that this might give some sort
of a meaningful comparison of where the data might be getting clipped.
I'm not sure how it could work with negs, but a comparison of slides would
make more sense anyway with the greater range of density.  Comments?  Obviously
this is only good for scanners supported by Vuescan and not very scientific.

I've scanned a few slides on the SS4000 and I'll take them home to try some
comparisons with the output from the LS30.  One thing is already clear -
the brightness settings in Vuescan aren't consistent across all scanners.
 Where a brightness of 1.5 is too bright on the LS30, the data from the
Polaroid seemed to need pushing to a brightness setting of 2.0 or even more.
 This was not something I expected.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com