RE: Getting around the firewire problem was Re: filmscanners:Best film scanner, period!!!

Art,

I respectfully agree with you that different locations, due to differing tax
structures, distribution systems, shipping costs, currency rates, and the
like, may very well have differing prices on any given item ( and this is
without even bringing up the fact that most of the world does not have
access to or use digital equipment and information systems - let alone the
internet.  My point was that RAM prices around the world have recently
exhibited a significant decrease as compared to what they use to be.  That
decrease may very well be relative to what the earlier prices in that give
area were such that the prices that I quoted for my location in the US would
not be the going rate elsewhere.

My reference to www.champaigncomputer.com was intended to provide evidence
of the truth or accuracy of what I claimed to be the current price range
within which I had obtained RAM during the recent past as well as to provide
a guideline  as to the current US pricing which one can compare to their
location or to US prices for RAM a year ago. I also made explicit mention of
the fact that they had GOOD prices so that one would not take their listed
pricing as the average US mail order or web order pricing which may - and
often is - a little higher.

Given that this is an international list, I think that it would be difficult
to carry on any discussions if we restricted ourselves to only those areas
of pricing and law, socio-cultural practices, etc. that we all had in common
as a shared identical referent.  I think we do need in carrying on our
discussions to recognize the diversity by giving out information that allows
the reader to identify similarities and differences between the writer's
situation and the reader's circumstances, which is what I tried to do by
stating my sources, that I was speaking in terms of US dollars, that the
time frame was a few weeks ago, and that the source was one that typically
had better than usual pricing.  I assume that armed with this information
the reader can then go about making their own decisions, evaluations, and
judgments.