Re: filmscanners: Best film scanner, period!!!

Austin writes:

> Scanner testing is VERY operator dependant.

Well, if I could feel confident that the SS4000 would indeed give me at least
the same dynamic range plus the higher resolution, I might well spring for it.
How is the software included with it?  (I'm mainly concerned about driver
stability and whatever utility Polaroid provides for doing scans, and their
reliability under NT.)

> I also don't know how you can "see" an apparently
> smaller dynamic range and attribute it to the
> scanner.

Blown highlights and blocked shadows (I should never see both on a single scan,
if the dynamic range is adequate), on a slide that contains neither when
examined on a light table.

> I'm not saying your conclusion is wrong, just
> that I don't believe it's really based on solid
> footing.

Well, as I've said, if I can feel assured that the SS4000 will do at least as
well as the LS-2000, I might switch to that one day, since it apparently is SCSI
and is supported under NT (right?).  I don't need increased resolution as much
as increased dynamic range, but both would be nice, as I have a few slides
(well, more than a few) that push the envelope on dynamic range considerably,
and I have a handful of slides that also contain more detail than I can scan at
2700 dpi, although that's pretty rare, as it's unusual to get beyond 40-50 lp/mm
with handheld shots and/or anything other than Provia, Velvia, Tech Pan, etc.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.