Re: filmscanners: Best film scanner, period!!!

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 06:43:07PM +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> > Or you could spend less than $1000 on a completely
> > new computer with not much CPU but lots of RAM
> > and a Firewire card to use as a dedicated
> > scanning station.
>
> That would be the most practical solution, but that is still $3000 or more.
>And
> I really don't have any place to put it, nor do I have any easy way of
> connecting the two computers (that would require a router or something
> similar--add another couple hundred dollars to the bill).

No, just two 100MBit network cards ($10 a piece) and a cross over
cable. As long as you don't want to connect more than two machines
this is the cheapest (and probably fastest) solution. If you want
to add a third machine, you still don't need a router: A hub for
about $50 will do it. A router is only neccessary if you want to
"route" packets from one subnet to a different subnet, which is
not the case in your setup.

Karl Heinz

--
Karl Heinz Kremer                                  khk@khk.net