Re: filmscanners: yet *another* low cost way to avoid the future

Performing an upgrade install of Win2K would take
about an hour. Since you back up your system (I
presume that's what you are doing with your tape
drive), the risk of a failed upgrade is zero. The
overdrive processor will give you a substantial
performance increase (60% higher clock rate, coupled
with twice the full-speed L2 cache). The chip
literarally drops into the socket 8 where your current
chip is. Again, with your backup regien, risk is zero.

I'm really baffled by your attitudes. You want a new
scanner, but are unwilling to make any changes to your
system(s) or workflow to accomodate it. Rest assured,
the biggest risk in your proposed upgrade to the
SS4000 is the risk of what happens uninstalling the
current Nikonscan software and replacing it with the
new. Nikon recommends against running both versions.
Any new scanner added, whether SCSI or Firewire or USB
will put your machine's stability at risk.

Also, your use of the term production system is
conveniently fluid. What you describe is the PC you
use, because your liveliehood depends on it is
production, but the systems other people run billion
dollar businesses on aren't production, for some
undefined reason. But that aside, since your own
production system is so critical, then it follows that
you must have excellent documentation on how
everything is installed. That will certainly aid when
you replace your PC.

All I really have learned of your situation is that
you are upset about Nikon's decisions that eliminate
them as a supplier for your next scanner, but not
anything about the business you run on your PC such
that it can't be replaced with a new computer, save
for the downtime, which is avoidable entirely, by
running the computers in parallel. Nor have you given
a good reason the Nikon is the scanner you must have,
except that you don't believe any other maker can make
as good of a product because Nikon is Nikon, and no
one else is. You've been given several suggestions for
alternatives that do run under SCSI, but instead of
evaluating them, you return to the Nikon refrain.

The PPro was a good chip in it's day, but any cpu
currently offered by Intel or AMD will outperform it
in all respects. If you aren't limited by the actual
CPU speed, I can only assume that you don't perform
any image editing, as a 200 MHz cpu is not as fast as
any current CPU, no matter what you want to believe
about the architectural superiority of the first
generation P6 architecture.

Pat
--- Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>