Re: filmscanners: yet *another* low cost way to avoid the future

on 8/26/01 8:00 PM, Anthony Atkielski at atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr wrote:

> I do image editing all the time.  The 2x 200 MHz isn't as fast as current
> systems, but it is _fast enough_, just as it was when I bought it.  You are
> falling prey to the misconception that a newer, faster system somehow makes
> older systems inadequate--but an older system that has been adequate in the
> past
> remains so in the future, unless your requirements change, and this is true no
> matter how much faster the more modern systems become.

bullshit unfortunately

my 75 Mhz powermac was 'fast enough' when I bought it but I shudder to think
how it would run my now-indispensible OS 9.1 or handle Photoshop 6, a gig of
RAM, and a gaussian blur on a 300 Mb file.

At a certain point legacy hardware becomes a liability rather than an asset

good backup strategies go hand in hand with hardware upgrades

AA's arguments lead to the conclusion that one would never have to upgrade a
system that was at one time 'fast enough'

My POV is rather that the best strategy is to upgrade at sensible intervals
to the latest hardware and take the migrational pain with you. It lasts,
erm, a week at most.

All this talk about 'mission critical' is nuts since you can either keep the
two machines running in tandem OR partition the HD into a dual-boot system
if you are just upgrading the OS. I've done this for years in 'mission
critical' (is weekly TV current affairs mission-critical enough?) situations
and never lost a machine, or a day's work, yet.

A power spike took out my main G4 and ethernet hub and internet connection
three weeks ago. I was up and running in an hour, and I had a redundant
backup set to fall back on even then. Yeah I was dumb not to have a surge
supressor, I know, but I survived.
--
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com