Re: filmscanners: Best film scanner, period!!!

Anthony Atkielski writes

> Derek writes:
>
> > Your main machine then has two NICs including
> > the one you already own.
>
> I have no more slots for another NIC.

Anthony, think about putting the two NICs in the new PC -- current versions of
Windows do Internet Connection Sharing (not to mention USB and Firewire).

For what it's worth, here's my recent experience of upgrading a mission-critical
setup. I am a solo consultant and I used a 200mhz PC for some years for document
production with Photoshop, Word, PageMaker, etc. When it got short of breath
handling larger files I added a new Pentium 3 PC and networked the two machines.
I gradually set up the new machine to take over as main workstation, and at
every stage had at least one reliable productive machine to work on with any
application or peripheral.

The migration is now complete -- the old machine is left to handle the cable
internet connection, the firewall, the fax modem, the CD burner and a couple of
hard disks on which I keep backup mirrors of my data directories.

I even got used to having a second computer on a temporary stand behind me -- I
can spin around on my chair and use the other computer (God it's slow). I'll run
some wires to another room soon and get it out of my studio, just as soon as I
finish a couple of jobs...

Peter Marquis-Kyle

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.