From: Ian Boag <ianboag@partslink.co.nz>
To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 1:08 AM
Subject: RE: filmscanners: film vs. digital cameras -
wedding/commercial photography

> Always gives you guys something to laugh about when a
ignoramus dives in. I
> have an engineering PhD as well but it's in Chem Eng from
the 70's which I
> guess makes my opinion worth as much that of the average
taxi driver.

> I had an Agfa 1680 for a while. 1.3 MP CCD and some fancy
interpolation
> that supposedly took it to equiv 1.9 MP. Dunno if I
believed that. The
> point was it did A4 prints that I considered fairly
acceptable, although my
> scanned neg stuff was a bit better. I have Kodak FD300 and
HP S20 film
> scanners. I know there are scanners that do APS and 35 but
that's not the
> way it happened for me. Both are 2400 dpi.
>
> Have just upgraded to a Casio 3000 (3.3 MP). Also had the
misfortune to be
> followed home by a used Epson Stylus 3000 A2 printer.
Printed some A2 stuff
> off the digicam and it just blew me away. Orright orright
it's not the same
> as one would get off an MF neg and Sprintscan 4000 (I
assume). Was pretty
> damn good though - some pixelation visible when viewed
from 10 cm (who
> views this size print at from 10 cm anyway).
>
> I know the dot arithmetic doesn't work. The digi pic is
about the equiv of
> a 1200 dpi 35mm neg scan. Blowing that out to A2 is a res
on the paper of
> about 100-odd dpi. Obviously totally unsatisfactory. I
just have to tell my
> eyes that .... :)
>
> Have now been amusing self by copying slides on a light
box using 5
> diopters of closeup lens on the front of the zoom in macro
mode. Purists
> should feel free to faint. More pretty damn good results.
>
> I would not be bothered in the least if someone sold me a
pic of this
> quality suitably printed on a matt paper perhaps under
glass and framed up
> nice.
>
>         Cheers Ian

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.