RE: filmscanners: Do I need Digital ICE? & Scanner selection Advice

Darrell wrote:

> My main reason for doing the scans myself is that I have been
> spending a fortune on Photo CD scans and the results
> are not very
> good.  Many of the scans will be used on the web but
> several will
> be used to print from.  I have been seeing many who scan
> themselves and get great results.  My total spend on
> the scanner
> will be $500 USD or lower.

If your primary usage is for the web, you might want to use
negative film and get Kodak picture disk or regular prints.  You
can scan regular prints and make more of reasonable quality if
you don't enlarge.  A $100 for a flat bed scanner will get all
the quality you will ever need for a picture on the web.

The Kodak Picture disk will give you JPEGs in the range of 30K.
This is fine for Web viewing and you can crop, etc.  If you want
prints on paper, these can't be enlarged (in my view from a
quality perspective) and prints from  your PC printer may or may
not satisfy you.

Gordon Potter   <twocybers@home.com>
Nashville, TN 37215
USA