RE: filmscanners: film vs. digital cameras - wedding/commercial photography

> So from a photographic perspective, a Pixel, is the whole Quad -

I certainly disagree with that...

> which is
> why the Fuji isn't really a 6Mpixel camera (even though it reads 6 Million
> dots).

The reason the Fuji isn't 6M pixels is because the sensor isn't a 6M pixel
sensor!  It's a 4.3M pixel sensor, interpolated to make 6M pixels.

> Also earlier you said
>
> >Karl, I'm not buying the above resolution/zone claim.  Of course
> MF film is
> >larger than 35mm film, that's why it's MF, but I do not believe that the
> >lp/mm changes between zone III and zone VI.
>
> I refer you to the latest issue of PhotoTechnique and its article
> on Gigabit
> film.  If you think about the physics of how film works, a drop in LPMM
> resolution as inbound light intensity drops, makes a great deal of sense.

<snip> I believe you missed my point.  You need contrast...ANY contrast to
distinguish two lines.  It is the amount of contrast that will vary
depending on how far the two line "tones" are apart.  It obviously depends
on what you are comparing to what.  If you compare Zone III with Zone IV,
you have substantially reduced contrast, but that does not make it less
resolution, just less contrast.  If you compare Zone III with Zone X, you
have higher contrast, and not necessarily higher resolution.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.