filmscanners: Acer Scanwit slide holder--modifying

Hi, Johnny--

The Scanwit slide holder as delivered is hard to load quickly, and it also
beats up square-cornered cardboard slide mounts. But the fix is simple. You
just need to be careful--for your own sake, not the slide-holder's.

The first problem is the curved "keeper" at the top-right corner of each
slide window. Cut the radius curve back to where it's about square with the
top and right side, using a sturdy utility knife, a very sharp pocket knife,
or small wood-chisel (an X-acto #45 short-beveled blade will work OK--but
the long, tapered blade is hard to control). This will keep your cardboard
mounts from being bent or damaged.

The second problem is the dual plastic springs at the lower-left corner.
Some people remove *both* springs, but that leaves too much play when the
slide is inserted, AFAIC. I remove only the bottom spring, leaving the
spring on the left side in place. The springs can either be cut or broken
off, but the "stump" should be shaved down so the slide moves over it
smoothly. When the slide is pushed against the remaining spring from the
right and pressed down, there's a satisfying little "click" when it seats
properly. If a person is left-handed, they might prefer to remove the side
spring and leave the bottom spring--I doubt if it makes much difference--the
idea is to make slides easier to load, yet still fit securely in the holder.

A word of caution: *be careful*. Blood on your slides makes them harder to
color-correct! ;-)
I've made this post a couple times in the past--this time I'm giving it a
subject-heading that's hopefully more definitive. :-)

Best regards--LRA

PS--Thanks again to Ed Hamrick for the original suggestion.