Re: filmscanners: Best digital archive medium for scans?

Respectfully, I agree with much of the below but there are some  things I
disagree with.  I work for a company that was involved in a major lawsuit.
At the time of "discovery" I worked for the IT department and watched the
furious scramble to comply with the subpoenas issued for the backed up data.
They had been using stuff that was 'industry standard', but within less than
10 years, they had difficulty finding a combination of
a) reader
b) computer
c) operating system
d) device driver
that would let them extract the data, AND communicate it to a printer or
other digital data system

Recently I resurrected (or tried to ) an old Win 95 machine (5-8yrs old).
Even though nothing had been done to it, other than move the boxes from one
house to the other, it would not boot.  I got it to boot using Linux, but
that of course meant reformatting the boot drive, and since it no longer is
the original OS, the other device drivers may or maynot work (one hard drive
just would not spin up and the floppy drive was so out of alignment it would
not read any floppies).  So unless you want to become an electronics repair
technician this isn't a viable alternative.  And this is the problem with
MOD

CDROMs are susceptible to 'bit rot' - what happens is that exposure to any
sort of light results in degradation of the plastic protective coating.  The
more use, the more the damage.  So even if there are no scratches, that
coating can, and does, become optically opaque (I suspect that atmospheric
oxidation does this as well).  Some studies have shown that as little as 5
years of sitting in an optical jukebox can cause enough bit-rot that stored
source code will not compile without errors.

I haven't seen studies on  CDRs and CDRWs but I suspect they are more
vulnerable to this.  The same 'fogging' applies to DVDs of all forms (though
perhaps the plastic formulations have improved).

Removable IDEs have the problem that they are fragile, and the docking bays
may or may not be supported by the OS flavour (yes in theory IDE is IDE, but
it doesn't always work out that way).

So for a 20 year archive, I would print to 2 CDRs and keep the original negs
in a cool-dry place (in essence that is what Corbis is doing with the
Betteman archive).