Re: filmscanners: Silverfast vs Nikon Software?

At 07:10 13-08-01 +0000, you wrote:
>Cary wrote (re: Silverfast demo):
>
>>Been there. Did that. On my Win2K system the SIlverfast demo made NikonScan
>>inoperative. I had to uninstall Silverfast and reinstall NikonScan before
>>it would work again.
>
>I don't have SF or NS (or even a Nikon), but I've experienced that
>phenomenon *more* than enough with other software that "shares" files. I
>don't know if it's sloppy programming or just downright meanness, but I
>*do* wish that code-writers would get their collective acts together. It
>makes me really hate to add anything new.

Win2K has an undocumented or at least well hidden workaround that can often
solve the shared files problem. It didn't do so in the case of Silverfast
but I'll post it for general reference because it's good to know:

"In the previous tip, we mentioned how to disable the Windows File
Protection feature of Win2000, using the registry. However, this can be
dangerous, as it leaves your system exposed to the possibility that an
application could overwrite system files (DLLs) when installed
(particularly older applications). Some older applications simply insist on
placing their DLLs in the System folder. However, a work around to this
problem is to put the DLL in question (the one that the newly installed
application wants to place in the System folder, overwriting the current
DLL in that folder) in the application's own folder. Then create a zero
byte file that is named the same as the application, plus an extension of
.local. For instance, if the application was called crankyapp.exe, you
would create a file called crankyapp.exe.local in the same file as
crankyapp.exe and crankyapp.dll. Windows 2000 will then automatically load
that applications DLL for use only with that application."
http://windows2000.about.com/compute/windows2000/library/tips/bltip228.htm

This technique can help many balky applications to run correctly on Win2K.

Cary Enoch Reinstein aka Enoch's Vision, Inc., Peach County, Georgia
http://www.enochsvision.com/, http://www.bahaivision.com/ -- "Behind all
these manifestations is the one radiance, which shines through all things.
The function of art is to reveal this radiance through the created object."
~Joseph Campbell

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.