Re: filmscanners: Nikon 8000

I've added my two cents worth on this dust subject before, but I'm willing to
do it again.  "If you store your slides/negatives unprotected on the floor of
a well traveled hallway, you're going to want Nikon's automatic dust removing
system."  But with a little care on your part, it shouldn't be necessary.  I
use a professional lab that returns dust free transparencies and negatives.
I leave them in their package until I'm ready to work with them or scan them.
 My working environment is by no means a "clean room," but for the short time
that my slides are out of the box being inspected for dust and mounted in the
scanner's carrier, they collect virtually no dust.  A Staticmaster brush is
needed on 20 to 30 percent of the slides to remove an occasional piece of
dust.  It takes 10 seconds to inspect for and remove the dust.  I generally
scan one slide at a time so I don't have slides in the carrier that are
exposed to "outside" air where they can collect dust.  The single slide being
scanned is inside the scanner where it's protected from dust settling on it.
(Those of you complaining about dust with the SS4000, are you batch
scanning?)

Well, I guess you got a bit more than two cents worth.  But I can guarantee
you it's 100 per cent certifiable personal opinion backed up by a certain
amount of logic from a person who has no experience with Nikon scanners.  If
you like Nikon scanners, you don't have to justify it to me.  And some people
may actually benefit from an automatic dust removal system because of their
work flow or work habits.  But it's easier to prevent dust in the first place
that to fight it after the fact.  Anyone who's worked in a conventional
darkroom knows how to manage the dust problem.  And they didn't have
Photoshop to easily repair the damage; all they had were diffusion (as
opposed to condenser) enlargers.

In a message dated 8/11/2001 7:33:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
darkroom@ix.netcom.com writes:

> Guess what, as I
> was ready to
> launch into my dust and scratch story these folks stopped me in my tricks
> saying they were not interested. It seems in some photographic segments it
> is not a valued feature.

I use a Leafscan...and I have never, except for one negative that was
mis-handled, had the need for any dust and scratch removal.  I guess if it
was there, I might use it...but then again, I might not...

I make sure my film is dust free...BUT...I do believe that the design of the
Leafscan is such that dust is minimized.  The chamber is pressurized with
filtered air.  I do not believe either the Nikon or the Polaroid 120
scanner(s) do that.  My Polaroid SS4k DID have a dust problem...dust settled
on the film, no matter what I did.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.