filmscanners: Dust/dirt in SS4K?

I had an annoying problem with my SS4K recently. For about six rolls of
slides in a row, I was getting a closely spaced, double horizontal line
across the slide that faded in and out intermittently across the scan.
Close examination with a 10x loupe revealed no such line on the slides.
I have no idea how to clean the insides of the SS4K, so just used tools
in Photoshop to get rid of it. Sometimes the line would disappear for a
few slides, then come back. I went a week without scanning anything, and
the last few days, scanning my latest batch of slides, no lines have
been evident. Has anyone ever seen anything like this with their SS4K?

I have very rarely had spots show up on scans that could not be seen on
the light table, sometimes a whole mess of them. They looked more like
chemical damage in the emulsion rather than dust, however. Yet
examination with the loupe showed nothing but pristine surface. I wonder
if this is the same thing that Austin sees with his?

Frank Paris
marshalt@spiritone.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.