Re: filmscanners: reply regarding Sony 420 G monitor

"shAf" wrote:

>with software (Adobe gamma or video card software) you are tweaking an 8bit
>LUT.  As an analogy, would you choose to tweak RGB gamma in Photoshop
>twice, or just once?  You are doing a bit of the same thing when you adjust
>the color LUT once, and then ask for compensation or adjustments in
>Photoshop.  Rather than adjust the LUT twice, most monitor calibration
>softwares will first give you an option for first putting the monitor
>temperature exactly where you want it with
hardware adjustments ... then the calibration (or characterization) software
(and/or puck) does its thing with characterization and gamma.

I regard shAf as one of the color experts on this List, but his expertise
sometimes leaves a few of us "seat-of-the-pants" fliers sitting back on the
apron(tarmac), so to speak.

FE, I'm a bit confused about an 8-bit LookUpTable. Is that 8-bits per
chanel? But how does an 8b LUT compute in a 48-bit scan?

I'll admit that I'm not well-read on CMS, and what I *do* read seems to go
in one head and out the other because I usually can't relate to or apply it,
since I'm not heavily involved in printing (which I totally understand most
film-scanners are). I'd have let this thread pass, but the 8-bit LUT caught
my attention. Sorry, shAf. :-)

Best regards--LRA