Re: filmscanners: Shadows and Scanwit 2720s

Ed (Bigboy9955) wrote>

>I have a Scan Dual II and Epson 860 printer.

I have neither, so can't comment constructively, but I'm sure others do
have, and can. :-)

>I have Photoshop but really haven't scratched the surface
>yet.  I don't have Vuescan and with all due respect, I think at this >point
>it would be overload.

Yes and no, but probably "Yes."  At $40, Vuescan is the best buy going for
multipurpose scanning software. Still, you have to "learn your craft"
basically at least, to become competent with VS. You may eventually need it
for problem pictures, if you have them--and you will, Young Jedi, you will.
:-)

<clip>
>The picture was a closeup of a seagull sitting on a red "fire-hydrant" >of
>some sort taken on Santa Barbara pier.  The background is one solid >shade
>of a very deep, dark blue, which is accurate in color, just faint
>"posterization"??

First thing to do is go into your My Computer/Control Panel and select
Display. Click on the Settings tab, which will bring up a "Colors" box,
where you can select your color depth. Most people will use 16-bit depth
because it's faster on a standard (non graphics) machine. Select "True
Color(32 bit)" from the list, Restart your machine, take another look at the
picture to make sure it's OK by you, and then try printing it again.

Now, I don't know for fact that an Epson printer actually tries to replicate
what's on your screen, but it might. You may also have *missed* the
posterizing when you looked at the picture in Photoshop, or PS could have
interpolated it--either is a possibility.

But here's the thing: your new picture or print should *not* have the wavy
separations. If it does, something else is wrong that I can't explain, but
I'm pretty sure someone on this List or the Epson List will be able to help
you.

Best regards--LRA