Re: filmscanners: Shadows and Scanwit 2720s

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:07:48 EDT   (Bigboy9955@aol.com) wrote:

> Could this be what is buggering Art and his new SDII?  Asking for more
> than the scanner is capable?  I also have a "new" SDII and "seem" to get
> some nice prints from scans.  Of course, I don't know what I am doing
> yet.  But I would think blowing up a scan 2-300% would show the uglies
> from the scanner.  I understand pushing the limits to see how far you
> can go but....

Possibly. Every CCD scanner I have ever looked at has all manner
of nastiness down near the noise floor, and if you adjust black point to
near there or beyond, plus increase curve gradient to try and maximise
shadow separation, what you get is pretty ugly.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
& comparisons