Re: filmscanners: Best digital archive medium for scans?

>Hersch wrote:
>
>>He [Mark] wants 20 years. My 20-year-old slides and negatives have
>>degraded enough that they need Ed's roc, and are generally not as
>>'good as new.' I think the digital resource is more reliable, if
>>proper care and storage, and regular renewal are carried out.
>
>It needs to be mentioned that not all 20-year-old film is equal (we
>all know the principles, but we don't often encounter the examples
>head-to-head). :-)
>
>If film is stored in a cool, dark, humidity-controled environment,
>its lifetime is very good over a period of 100-years or
>so--providing that the film base and chemicals were "archiveable" in
>the first place (and not all were). Some of my mother's slides are
>52 years old--only a few of them are degraded: some by obvious light
>exposure, some by dust, a very few just faded (poor dyes or
>development).
>
>But both Hersch and Maris are right. Film is stable, and so are
>digital numbers; the problem being that *nothing* is really
>permanent, so continuous and redundant archiving, at this point in
>time, is the safest way to approach this problem.
>
>Best regards--LRA

It is not wide spread, but photographers have archived color images
as black and white color separations for years.  The longevity of
black and white film is pretty well established.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.