Re: filmscanners: Vuescan Image vs Slide setting

A small cautionary tale.

It appears Vuescan's 'Slide' setting may result in blown out highlights, at
least for my Acer (perhaps it is related to the lack of exposure
control..?).  I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced
the following.

A challenging (!) Ektachrome I scanned this morning was showing burnt out
highlights in a small area.  I tried adjusting white and black points,
image brightness and gamma, and could not improve it.  I had just about
given up and assumed the area was in fact burned out on the slide, or that
maybe the Acer wasn't resolving it.  But then I tried Miraphoto, and it did
a better job..  So I went back to Vuescan, and puzzled over what the
problem was.  I changed the Media Type to IMAGE rather than SLIDE, and sure
enough, there was my lost data..

Moral - if your highlights are blown, check that setting!

If you're interested, I've posted samples here..

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~markthomasz/burnt.htm

Mark T.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.