RE: filmscanners: Supra 400 shadows

I've experienced similar 'speckles' with Supra 400 and Royal
Gold 4000 with my SS4000. Since this is the only scanner I've
ever used I don't know if what I assume to be noise is
something that happens with all scanners or is unique to the SS4000.

I've become quite fond of Provia 100F. It is sharp as a tack and
a joy to scan. Of course it does suffer in the exposure latitude
department. I'm still using negative films but am shifting more
to transparency film based on ease of scanning and the knock
your socks off quality of Provia.
-JimD

At 11:44 AM 8/1/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I have the exact same problem with Supra 400 - red and green speckles in
>the shadows.  Like you, I can't get them to disappear without blowing away
>a lot of shadow detail.  I don't know if a drum scan would solve this or
>not - I've seen the same problem on both my SS4000 and my new LS-4000, so
>I have my doubts.
>
>My (admittedly drastic) solution has been to stop using Supra 400.  I've
>switched entirely to Provia 400F slide film, and I  find it scans just
>beautifully.
>
>Paul Chefurka

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.