Re: filmscanners: 35mm filmscanner choice

Hi James, Before you decide, consider whether you will always be using the
entire area of your 35mm negatives. I do a lot of song bird photography and
song birds are quite small and shy. As a consequence, in order to get an
image that takes up a significant portion of my final print, I'm often using
only a portion of the 35mm frame. My prints range in size from not quite
7X10 up to 12X18. For a 11X14 print, I'd like to start with a file size of
at least 30 MB. For me, 2900 dpi would be a significant handicap. I have a
SS 4000 which I dearly love. I clean my slides well before scanning and I
work in a low dust enviroment so I don't really miss ICE. I have no direct
experience with Genuine Fractals but for modest file enlargements, I have
read a number of posts on this or another  list (I don't recall where)
compareing GF to Bicubic interpolation in Phototshop which I use all the
time. That said, I'd really like to have a copy of Genuine Fractals. There
used to be a trial version for down load on the net but I heard that Alta
Mira (sp?) sold GF to Corel.
    I'm a Canon camera fan but in scanners, I'd go with Polaroid. I'm sure
you'll get some advice to the contrary. Seems many on this list either love
or hate one make or another.  Good luck with your choice. For an impartial
statement on Quality, you might want to check how many refurbished units are
available on E-Bay for each brand.
Regards, Ron Carlson