filmscanners: Scanning and memory limits in Windows

At 7/26/2001 04:57 PM +1000, you wrote:

>The Q page on Microsoft's site says "...you *may* experience one or more
>of the following symptoms..." (my emphasis).  The article doesn't enlighten
>as to why some systems might and others might not.  My guess is that the
>hardware (eg. motherboard, what cards are plugged in etc) has a lot to do
>with it.  The article also notes that the problem may occur "more readily"
>with AGP graphics adapters in the system.
>
>I simply thought "power users" of RAM in this forum might like to know about
>the issue.  As I mentioned earlier - I'd upgrade to Win2K today if I knew
>all the devices and software would still work.  I'm reasonably positive
>they wouldn't.  If all I was doing was scanning and editing pictures, I
>would already be running Win2K.

This is a common problem with many motherboards.  They either can't use
more than 512 megabytes of memory, or peripheral device cards may use the
memory space allocated for memory above 512k for their working
space.  There are also large numbers of motherboards around which don't
cache the memory above 512Mb (or an even lower limit).  With those it may
degrade overall performance to add more than 512 Mb.

- Rick Housh -

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.