Re: filmscanners: SS4000, Win98 and VCache settings

The problem here is if you have more than 512 meg of RAM installed with any
version of WIN9X. In that case it may not start up as it gives to much
memory to the cache. Therefore with over 512 meg installed on a PC you would
have a statement in like this in system.ini .

[vcache]
MaxFileCache=262144

It is explained in a knowledge base article but the relevant bits are noted
below.

"The Windows 32-bit protected-mode cache driver (Vcache) determines the
maximum cache size based on the amount of RAM that is present when Windows
starts. Vcache then reserves enough memory addresses to permit it to access
a cache of the maximum size so that it can increase the cache to that size
if needed. These addresses are allocated in a range of virtual addresses
from 0xC0000000 through 0xFFFFFFFF (3 to 4 gigabytes) known as the system
arena.

"On computers with large amounts of RAM, the maximum cache size can be large
enough that Vcache consumes all of the addresses in the system arena,
leaving no virtual memory addresses available for other functions such as
opening an MS-DOS prompt (creating a new virtual machine).

"This problem may occur more readily with Advanced Graphics Port (AGP) video
adapters because the AGP aperture is also mapped to addresses in the system
arena. For example, if Vcache is using a maximum cache size of 800MB and an
AGP video adapter has a 128MB aperture mapped, there is very little address
space remaining for the other system code and data that must occupy this
range of virtual addresses."

And here are the three suggested workarounds:

"1. Physically remove any memory in excess of 512MB [!]

"2. Use the System Configuration utility to limit the amount of memory that
Windows uses to 512MB or less.

"3. Use the MaxFileCache setting in the System.ini file to reduce the
maximum amount of memory that Vcache uses to 512MB (524,288 KB) or less."

And the unspoken fourth solution: upgrade to Windows 2000.

The above was culled from the register..

 Tests on a website noted below reckon you are better with WIN 2000 when you
have  512 meg ram when using Photoshop. They were originally trying to see
whether a P4 or athlon was best for Photoshop.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/cpu/photoshop-platform/

Eddie