Re: filmscanners: image samples of digital artifacts

"Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com> wrote:
> Is there an online tutorial/FAQ/glossary somewhere that shows image
samples
> of various digital artifacts (e.g., banding, grain-aliasing, jaggies,
etc.)?

I should put some examples of jaggies on my web site.  Thankfully, Nikon
finally
seems to have fixed the problem with Nikonscan 3.1.  Vuescan does better
scans
from my LS30 however. :)

> I'm a newbie to all this, and Tony's glossary at halftone is a help but
> doesn't show pics.  Here, I think, sample images would be worth a thousand
> words.

Wayne Fulton's scanning FAQ may have some of that sort of thing.  I don't
have the URL though.  I can't think of a meaningful picture of grain
aliasing.  It could be described with a drawing, not with an real life scan
because by nature it is random.  The closest analogy is the moire patterns
you get when scanning offset printed magazine pictures with a flatbed at
certain ppi settings.

Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.