RE: filmscanners: Link to Nikon 8000 banding example...

At 01:20 AM 7/19/01 +0100, Jawed wrote:
>I agree - I was just about to write as much.
>
>I don't really know how big a 645 neg is, but the thought of a 4000 dpi scan
>across two or three inches (guess) of film makes the mind boggle.  Hmm, are
>you prints 36 inches square?  Crikey

I'm not Lawrence, but I'll weigh in on this.  If
there had been an $1500 scanner that delivered
an honest 2500 dpi on MF film, I'd have bought
it in an instant.  I'm not convinced I need 4000
dpi.  Scans of 645 negatives at 4000 dpi yield
160-170 MByte images (24-bit color.)  For Lawrence,
double those sizes since he's using 48-bit color.

>Lawrence, have you verified that you *need* to do multi-scanning?  Surely
>the DMax of the 8000 is way beyond any negative you might be scanning.  And
>have you evaluated a scan with no multi-scanning to see if it has banding?

I can attest that the banding issue occurs even at
1x scanning.  Though I also wonder whether Lawrence
really "needs" to to 16x scans.

On the larger issue -- I disgree strongly with
the poster who suggested that a $3000 scanner
couldn't (or shouldn't) be expected to do better.

Oh, heck, I know that Imacon scans, drum scans,
and Eversmart scans may well be better, but for
$3K, I expect an absence of banding.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.