RE: filmscanners: Link to Nikon 8000 banding example...

> And as final thought, 30 minutes per image of scanning costs you real
> time/money.  Whatever saving you're achieving by not using
> third-party drum
> scanning is offset by you having to sit around feeding negs.  What hourly
> rate do you put on your time in the digital darkroom?

The digital darkroom is a mixed time blessing.  I find that it sucks up a
lot of time on the front end.  That being said, I am able to print any
number of essentially identical prints as they are needed.  As for the
30mins, yeah it sucks and is expensive.  However sending my film to be drum
scanned is not free and the negs are then out of my control.  I have never
had one lost but i have had other issues that were nearly as bad.  The SS120
was nice and quick but I spent about the same amount of time spotting the
scans so there was no real time savings with that machine.  At least with
the Nikon, i can do other things (like soup negs) while it is working it's
ICE magic (not on BW).  As for B&W prints, i still prefer silver prints
anyway.  I have a piezo printer and I do use it alot but i really am fond of
fiber paper done the old fashioned way.  I have done some tests and not all
need to be scanned using 16x.  4x does the job 98% of time and is lots
quicker.  I don't really have enough RAM in my computer, only 384.  I'd love
to get one of the new G4 dual 800's with 1.5 gig of RAM.  That would speed
things up on all fronts.  I guess I need to sell more work ;-)

Lawrence

p.s. glad you liked the Cuba images.  It's a great place.  I can't wait to
go back.  nikon is running a story about my trip with 15 of the images on
nikonnet.com in the travel section under 'articles'.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.