RE: filmscanners: Nikon MF LED light source...

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:27:46 +1000  Julian Robinson
> (julian@austarmetro.com.au) wrote:
>
> > **In any case as we know and has already been discussed many times on
> > this list, the **quoted** dynamic range is usually based on the num of
> > A/D bits and so is not related to either Dmax OR Dmin in any case!

Yeah, I've seen that too.  That is marketing fluff, and definitely is
misleading.  The number of bits is really only a limiting factor (assuming
they are used to represent only integer density ratio values, or at least
defined in some sense).  You could have a 20 bit A/D and a system
performance of 2.

There was a good discussion about standardizing this spec on the scanner
newsgroup a while ago.  It was speculated that one of the problems seemed to
be agreeing on a "test".  This is where Kodak or someone should take the
lead and just define a decent test and put it out in the public for others
to use.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.