filmscanners: Nikon Service

A couple of weeks ago or so, I posted a message about the warranty service
Nikon USA had given me on my LS-30, in glowing terms. They had repaired the
intermittent banding, etc., that had been plaguing me. They had replaced
the main circuit board, and on my first scan, those problems were gone.
Immediately after posting the message, I scanned another image, and found
the focus was way off, and I could not do anything to correct that! I got
on their 800 number immediately, and was told that it would have to be
shipped back. The lady promised to get a free UPS shipping coupon to me
overnight. Actually, it was the morning after the next day when FedEx
brought me the prepaid coupon.
I repacked the scanner, and took it to our local UPS, and was promised it
would go out by a UPS plane that night. Tracking confirmed that it had been
delivered on the Friday following, 4 days after I had first received it.
Two weeks later, I was informed it had been repaired, and shipped (by UPS
Ground this time). When it was delivered today, I unpacked it, and
connected it, and ran a test scan on Vuescan 7.1.6.  The first preview came
out dark but the scan was perfect.
I checked the packing slip, and they recorded the work done the first time,
and added: Replaced Focusing Motor, Stage Motor, Photo-Interrupter
(whatever that is) General check and clean, and Lube Stage Motor. It seems
to me that I have a remanufactured scanner at this point! There is hardly
anything else I can think of other than the optics that they haven't
renewed, and there is clearly nothing wrong with them. The scans of some
~20-year-old negatives are just gorgeous...
Other than their insisting on working on someone else's equipment while I
was suffering withdrawal pains, I can't thing of anything negative to say
about their service. I can only say that I am totally satisfied that they
have made good on their promises. All that it cost me was the ~$11 shipping
and insurance when I first sent it in. I also have a 90-day warranty
extension, in case something goes wrong with the repair. I think I'm home
free right now, and I now have over a dozen rolls to get developed, and
scanned.
Hersch

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.