Re: filmscanners: Which Buggy Software?

At 14:30 14-07-01 +0100, Tony Sleep wrote:
>On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:19:28 -0700  Pat Perez (patdperez@yahoo.com) wrote:
>
> >   the
> > most infamous being 3rd party manufacturer video drivers
>
>Yup! Absolutely (one reason why I conservatively stick to Matrox is that -
>eventually anyhow - their drivers usually get to be well behaved).
>
>It may be useful if people suffering Nikonscan crashes could identify
>their graphics cards and drivers.

nVidia GeForce2 GTS 32 MB DDR, Dell OEM version, adapter BIOS 3.15.0013
using nVidia's Detonator drivers current officially released version (WHQL)
1.2.4.1 dated 16-May-01

The only background program that I have running during scan operations is
Tiny Personal Firewall (3252 KB footprint in memory) which presents no
conflicts whatsoever and is essentially inactive at the time anyway (ISDN
connection rather than always-on). The computer isn't on a network either.
No background copy programs, no defraggers and I don't run real-time
antivirus either.

NS 3.1 can be observed in Task Manager while it's running. While it doesn't
impact both CPUs very much it does claim practically all available RAM and
virtual memory (99%!). Before I start the application there is
approximately 670 MB of free RAM and over nearly 1 GB free unfragmented
swapfile available to it. During the scan only a few hundred KB remain
free. NS eats all the rest. That's just lousy software engineering.

Cary Enoch Reinstein aka Enoch's Vision, Inc., Peach County, Georgia
http://www.enochsvision.com/, http://www.bahaivision.com/ -- "Behind all
these manifestations is the one radiance, which shines through all things.
The function of art is to reveal this radiance through the created object."
~Joseph Campbell

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.