Re: filmscanners: SS120 & Nikon 8000 ... how do they work?

Art wrote:

>Many moons ago, I was working on the concept of a system to allow a 35mm
>frame to be projected on a flatbed scanner surface.  This could, in
>theory, allow for even a 600 dpi scanner to record a 35mm frame at about
>4800 x 7200 ppi, optically.

Not unsurprisingly, I thought of the same thing when I saw how "Mickey
Mouse" the HP 6300C's film adapter was; project an 11x8 image onto an
inverted ground-Lucite panel layered onto the scanner glass, and get a
1200x1200ppi scan of *that* size rather than the size of a 35mm slide!
Unfortunately, the "machine" to accomplish this projection, complete with
mirrors and projector, would take up the space of about six 19" monitors
stacked in an unlikely configuration, plus any negs to be scanned would have
to be put into slide mounts. I figured it would be cheaper and at least
3-months quicker to buy an Acer, with a footprint about 1/20th that size,
and wait for technology to improve on my brilliant "Rube Goldberg" design.
;-)

Obviously, I'm not an engineear--I can barely spell it. ;-)

Best regards--LRA