Re: filmscanners: Primefilm 1800i

Tony Sleep wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 20:36:11 -0700  Arthur Entlich (artistic@ampsc.com)
> wrote:
>
> > It is not produced by Microtek, and I do not believe the Microtek 35 is
> > the same product.  It may be called other names in the UK, however.
>
> AFAIK it is produced by Pacific Image who are a brand owned by Microtek,
> and I believe used for entry-level flatbed scanners which are sold at
> lower prices than Mtek. Whether it is built by Mtek themselves or under
> contract somewhere I don't know, but Pacific Image and Microtek are
> definitely associated. I think the Microtek 35 is based on the same
> hardware, but with some cosmetic differences. I suspect they found they
> had marketing difficulties with the relatively unknown PI label simply
> obscuring the scanner from prospective buyers.
>
> The Kodak RFS3600 shares the same basic design, but is much higher spec,
> and 3600ppi, and is supposedly built by Mtek.
>
> Regards
>
> Tony Sleep
> http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner
> info & comparisons

I stand corrected...  Does this mean that Microtek pretty much has about
half of the film scanner market sewn up?  Pacific Image, Polaroid, Kodak
and who knows whom else.  That doesn't leave much but Nikon, Minolta,
Canon and Acer (HP is getting out of the FILM scanner biz)...

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.