Re: filmscanners: Nikon 8000ED

At 22:31 10-07-01 -0700, you wrote:
>"Enoch's Vision, Inc. (Cary Enoch R...)" wrote:
> > On 10-04-98 I posted the following to this list:
> > "Let's not forget the corollary to that expression is "with Nikon you don't
> > get what you pay for." By that I mean customer support. I learned that
> > unhappy lesson with my first film scanner, a Nikon LS1000 when I
> > encountered nothing but arrogance, stalling, and ignorance from Nikon
> > "support." It's quite the opposite with Polaroid and probably would be with
> > Canon also. Naturally I'll be looking forward to evaluations of the Canon
> > unit by Ed and Tony but I'm quite sure that I'd never buy from Nikon
> again."
>
>Your last sentence sound pretty unequivocal.  I guess my question to you
>would be this:
>
>What is it that changed in terms of your perception of Nikon customer
>service in the last 3 years that leads you to believe things have
>improved with them?  Or have you decided instead to allow the product
>niche the LS-4000 offers to outstrip whatever concerns you have about
>dealing with Nikon customer service?

Yes, basically the latter was my reasoning. I've been following the list
discussions about 4000dpi scanners for a long time. There hasn't been a
host of reports about LS4000 hardware problems. Having worked in the
software industry for a long time I basically expected that version
"point.zero" of NikonScan would be buggy. Ultimately my decision was based
on how well ICE, ROC and GEM worked because I needed all three features.
And I always had Vuescan as a fallback if NikonScan was a complete bust
which it wasn't.

It was admittedly difficult for me to be objective because of prior bad
experiences with an LS4000 and Nikon technical support. From list feedback
it seems that times have changed for the better to some degree. I'd have
bought a Polaroid SS4000 in the blink of an eye if it had the same
functionality.

>It sounds to me that this is a heads up to companies like Polaroid and
>others that it might well me worthwhile to consider production of at
>least one scanner line with D-ICE or equivalent type products with an
>infrared channel.
>
> > Last month, I bought the Nikon LS-4000 for its ICE, GEM and ROC features,
> > all of which I needed badly for the restoration work that I do on contract.
> > I just can't spend so many hours spotting crappy old neglected film that
> > customers expect me to rescue when the Nikon does most of it automatically.
> > Those features are fantastic time savers because they work so well.

Cary Enoch Reinstein aka Enoch's Vision, Inc., Peach County, Georgia
http://www.enochsvision.com/, http://www.bahaivision.com/ -- "Behind all
these manifestations is the one radiance, which shines through all things.
The function of art is to reveal this radiance through the created object."
~Joseph Campbell

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.