Re: filmscanners: SS120 first impressions and a few questions.

At 20:30 10-07-01 -0400, rafeb wrote:
>Your complaint regarding NikonScan 3.1 being "buggy"
>is surprising to me.  I had some initial problems
>getting NS installed, but it has not been remotely
>buggy since then.  The installation issues turned
>out to be due to device conflicts.
>
>Which leads me to suspect that a good number of
>reported bugs in NS are in fact due to device
>conflicts.  This info is of no use to you at the
>moment, but others reading this may care.

Since I installed NikonScan 3.1 I haven't had any problems with its TWAIN
module. When used stand-alone it may have memory problems. The integrated
curves and histograms dialog is the best I've ever seen in any graphics
application. The version at Nikon's European site is more complete than the
one at their US site. It includes a utility named regsweeper.exe which
should be used before installing ver. 3.1.

I didn't use Nikon's throwaway IEEE1394 board because I already had an
Adaptec 1394 card installed for DV capture. The Adaptec card is much more
robust and I'm guessing that it won't cause any conflicts. I suspect that
some reported conflicts are due to the Nikon card. The Adaptec doesn't need
any drivers or installation routine because Windows 2000 recognizes it
automatically, probably the same for Win9x also.

 >Re:  Photoshop Books:

Even if you don't do much retouching work the following book will be
invaluable for unraveling Photoshop and all its features in a practical and
very complete way:
Photoshop Restoration and Retouching by Katrin Eismann, QUE Books
www.digitalretouch.org

Cary Enoch Reinstein aka Enoch's Vision, Inc., Peach County, Georgia
http://www.enochsvision.com/, http://www.bahaivision.com/ -- "Behind all
these manifestations is the one radiance, which shines through all things.
The function of art is to reveal this radiance through the created object."
~Joseph Campbell

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.